The Hout Bay Cycling Club was founded by a group of veteran cyclists who wanted to provide Hout Bay youngsters with an opportunity to experience the world of cycling while offering a healthy alternative to the negative influences found within their communities.
By participating in our cycling programme the riders learn important life skills such as teamwork, discipline, dedication, and determination. In addition, the boys receive counselling about career and life choices.
The club has training rides on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons between 4 – 6 pm and again on a Saturday from 7h30 to 10h30.
Knowledge of cycling and being a cyclist would be an advantage plus having mechanical skills would be a bonus!
The boys or teenagers are aged between 12 – 18 years of age. We have a mix of riders from both Imizamo Yethu as well as from the Hangberg areas.
We are always looking for volunteers to help with the rides and a typical day would include:
- Pushing the boys to get ready and be on the bikes before 4h30
- Helping with minor mechanical work – changing pedals, checking cleats and pedals are compatible.
- Checking for buckled wheels/damage to bikes
- Tyres must be pumped up using the foot pump before leaving on training ride. Tyres should be checked at the same time for cuts or holes.
- Making sure each rider is riding the correct bike – a list is provided with names/bike numbers on each
- Ensuring there is a ride leader for each group A, B or C and perhaps lead one yourself or provide back up in a car.
- Check that at least one rider from each group has a cell phone with your contact details in case of an emergency
- Make sure everyone returns safely and that all bikes and equipment are put inside the clubhouse before locking
- Helping with transportation to races and fun rides
If your skills lie elsewhere – perhaps in the bookkeeping or accounting fields we would welcome help here too. Perhaps your skills lie in the Social Work area or even Life Skills Training or similar.