Hout Bay APD (Bethesda) is an organisation whose core focus is to create awareness and empower all persons with dis-ABILITIES, (physical, psychosocial, intellectual, neurological or sensory impairments) and their families to participate fully, effectively and independently in all aspects of life and mainstream socio-economic society. Staff, volunteers, relatives and the general public participate in the sharing of skills, resources and knowledge to ensure continuity of regular structured programmes.
Hout Bay APD thrives on the reciprocal relationship of teaching clients new skills and being rewarded from our income generating contracts, products and the abundance of seasonal produce harvested from our work in our eco-food garden. We upskill, support and encourage our clients to start-up small businesses and/or participate in employment opportunities.
- Gardening:- vegetables, herbs and fruit – uses, benefits, eco-friendly practices – composting, bug management, seedlings and skills sharing plus gardening tools
- Cooking:- skills related to good nutrition, baking, cooking, decorating-cakes/cupcakes, catering, small event management
- In our Café – waitressing/serving, table décor,
- Sewing:- skills –basic and advanced
- Skills training:–
- basic budgeting and money management
- marketing and sales
- small event management – using all HB APD activities to support events held on-premises example: our café, products developed, eco-food garden etc.
- Media campaigns:–
- social media – re-engineer and update Website, Facebook, twitter, etc. and training of staff/clients to participate and update
- Printed media – design, copy write and printing of HB APD brochure plus create user friendly newsletter template, design and printing of labels for products produced (paper and fabric labels), product packaging ideas.
- Delia Petersen, Office administrator
- Priscilla Jansen, Chairperson